tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jar scanning, SCI scanning, fragment scanning
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:25:03 GMT
On 14/06/2013 09:14, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> well i think it will be handled for next spec as it was for interceptors
> (but it is not that important for initializer in *applications*).
>
> I don't get what's the issue using a scanner registry with "get or create"
> semantic. Is it only tomcat doesn't need it by itself? If so my point is
> today tomcat is almost nothing without libs and most of libs scan so IMO it
> would be a nice have to get it (even if not mandatory).

The issue is that you are advocating a solution (a "scanner registry"
although you have not defined what one of those is) without describing a
problem.

Both container and application components that need to scan JARs for
classes and/or annotations can use an SCI which will result in a single
scan being performed.

You have yet to articulate a requirement that cannot be met with an SCI.

If the problem you are trying to solve is that lots of libraries perform
scans then I see no point in implementing a proprietary solution (a
"scanner registry") when there is a standard solution (SCIs) available.
Libraries are going to have to change their code for either solution so
using the specification defined standard solution rather than a single
proprietary solution used by only one container is clearly the way to go.

Mark