tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Where to put proposals for tcnative?
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 14:07:16 GMT
Rainer,

On 6/6/13 5:24 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 06.06.2013 23:00, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>>> Subject: Re: Where to put proposals for tcnative?
>>
>>> PS Here's what I get when trying to build tcnative-trunk:
>>
>>> $ sh buildconf --with-apr=../../apr-1.4.6/
>>
>>> checking for JDK os include directory... Cannot find jni_md.h in /usr/
>>> configure: error: You should retry --with-os-type=SUBDIR
>>
>> It's an error to ever look for jni_md.h explicitly, since it's existence is dependent
on the JVM vendor.  (This was recently reported on the users' list.)  In Sun/Oracle JDKs,
jni_md.h is automatically #included inside jni.h, which is the only header file the spec requires.

> Hmm, yes it's automatically included, but the preprocessor will not find
> it, because it sits in an OS dependent sub directory.
>
> So what configure does is trying to find jni_md.h to set up the include
> path correctly. Otherwise including jni.h will fail.
>
> For the JVMs that don't have a jni_md.h (and are known to us), configure
> has additional script code running later.
>
> The JNI spec doesn't seem to help and the FAQ knows about the problem
> but not the solution:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/jni-j2sdk-faq-141732.html#jni_md

It's a "frequently asked questions" document. It clearly doesn't say
"/answers to/ frequently asked questions". ;)

-chris