tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: Timeline for beginning EL 3.0 implementation?
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:50:03 GMT

On Jun 11, 2013, at 3:36 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 11/06/2013 21:29, Nick Williams wrote:
>> I was looking through EE 7 and the changes to trunk in the last six
>> months or so and realized that no work had yet been done to implement
>> EL 3.0. Does anyone know what the anticipated timeline is for
>> beginning work on EL 3.0?
>
> When I've finished the Servlet 3.1 and WebSocket 1.0 implementations or someone else
decides to start on it.

Okay. One of many reasons I ask is that I still have it on my to-do to make some improvements
on the JSP compiler to support things like 1) precompiling all JSPs on deploy and 2) a better
Ant task. I don't know how much the EL changes might affect this JSP compilation (hopefully
it's fairly decoupled), and I'd like that to not seriously hinder any effort to back-port
my improvements to Tomcat 7. I'm wondering if this needs to move higher on my list and get
in before the EL changes. Any insight?

> The basic implementations are done. I'm currently reviewing the changes in the spec checking
that everything is implemented. That will be followed by reviewing the various EG discussions
on the bits the spec doesn't cover very well.

> Once all that is done I was thinking about some form of alpha release before starting
work on the EL stuff.

Seems like a good idea.

>> I don't even know who the EL expert(s) on
>> the Tomcat project is(are).
>
> The original developer moved on to other things shortly after completing the implementation.

Gotchya. That probably explains why I haven't heard a peep about it.

> I did most of the EL 2.2 implementation.

Nick