tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas Williams <>
Subject Re: OT: How do I subscribe to the Tomcat Dev/User lists with my address?
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 03:06:26 GMT
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM, sebb <> wrote:

> On 15 May 2013 00:37, Christopher Schultz <>
> wrote:
> > Nick,
> >
> > On 5/14/13 6:35 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
> >> I recently became a committer on the Logging project and thus I now
> have an address. Since it's a forwarding address, I'm having
> it forward to my Google Apps email address (the address I'm sending from
> now).

> address. I've set up my address as an additional
> "From" address in GMail. If I send an email from GMail to my $work address
> and select my address is my from address, it shows up as
> "from" my address when I receive the email on the other end.
>, it replied that my GMail address was
> already subscribed.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any experience with this? How do you subscribe your @
> addresses?
> >
> > You have to configure your address as a /sender/ and not
> > just a recipient. Basically, your email client needs to have an account
> > with
> >
> > Or you could just do what I do and not bother with using the
> > on the mailing lists.
> Indeed, but if you really want to subscribe as your ASF address:
> The mailing list software supports 3rd party [un]subscriptions, see:
> Just change
> list-unsubscribe-user=...
> list-subscribe-user=...

Thanks, Sebb. I was able to use this technique to subscribe my
@apache.orgaddress, but then when I tried to send an email to the list
it thought I
was sending from my (unsubscribed) GMail address and rejected it, saying I
wasn't subscribed.

I believe it boiled down to the "Sender" header, as Chris suggested.
Messages I sent using the from address had my
@apache.orgaddress in the "From" header but my GMail address in the
"Sender" header.
This is a standards-compliance thing when a server sends emails on behalf
of a domain it is not authoritative for.

I took a different approach, and I think it will work. In GMail account
settings, you can tell it to send email for a particular From address
through different SMTP servers. I set it up to send through Apache's Actually, I clicked the "Send email through's
SMTP servers" and GMail pre-populated the field with, so
it knew something apparently. Now the emails I send don't have "Sender"
headers anymore, so that has to be a good sign, right?

I'm sending this email from my address so we'll see if it works.