tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: Automatic deployment changes
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 22:42:08 GMT
2013/5/7 Mark Thomas <>:
> There have been a few queries [1], [2] recently and there is a long
> standard enhancement request [3] regarding automatic deployment.
> What has made changes in this area difficult in the past is a) a lack of
> a clear definition as to what the expected behaviour is and b) a lack of
> test cases to validate that behaviour.
> In an attempt to improve the situation, I have tried to document a
> proposed expected behaviour [4]. There may be some deviations from the
> current behaviour and support for fixing BZ 51294 is new. I hope to
> start implementing some test cases for [4] soon. Before I do, any
> feedback on the proposed expected behaviour?
> I haven't looked in detail at the existing code yet. The proposal may
> need tweaking to minimise the deviation from the current behaviour.
> Mark
> [1]
> [2]
> [3]
> [4]

Finally trying to find some time to review this...

1) Is there an intent to put [4] into some version-controlled place?
E.g. webapps/docs/architecture/ ?

Or essentials of it will be included as part of config/context.html ?
I see some rows from the tables are copied as comments into

2) A pair of typos:

s/ content.xml / [appname].xml / (or at least context.xml)
s/ Redploy / Redeploy /

3) It is possible to deploy a context by specifying it in server.xml.

I think such a context can be a allowed to reload, but it would be bad
to autoredeploy it (one should place such webapp outside of appbase).
What happens with it if ${catalina.base}/conf/context.xml is touched?

As far as I remember from my testing with Tomcat 7, if context that
was defined in server.xml fails to start, the whole Tomcat fails to
start (a Lifecycle exception from starting a child is propagated up
though the call chain).

4) I am a bit missing a legend for the tables.

The first table lists what artifacts (XML, WAR, DIR) are present in
every scenario?

5) There exists "unpackWAR" attribute on a Context, which is not mentioned here.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: