tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject LOG4J2-223: IllegalStateException thrown during Tomcat shutdown (memory leak, it looks like)
Date Sun, 19 May 2013 04:57:31 GMT
Can one of the very knowledgeable developers that have been discussing memory leaks in the
last few days (re: Possible false-postive with JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener and Tomcat's
JDBC Pool and OracleTimeoutPollingThread) chime in on this Log4j 2 bug [1]?

Log4j 2 appears to be registering a shutdown hook that, I believe, will result in a memory
leak in Tomcat. The JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener does not detect it (which might be a separate
Tomcat bug, assuming I'm right that it's a memory leak). I don't know nearly as much about
class loaders and memory leaks in a web application as some of the guys I've read talking
on here the last few days, and it would be helpful for us to get the knowledgeable opinion
of one or more Tomcat developers about how to solve this.

Thanks,

Nick

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-223

(Note: I don't normally post to both lists, but since the memory leak topic was occurring
on the user's list, and I also wanted to get the attention of as many developers as possible,
I made an exception this time.)