tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automatic deployment changes
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 16:39:49 GMT
On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 13:54 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
> What has made changes in this area difficult in the past is a) a lack of
> a clear definition as to what the expected behaviour is and b) a lack of
> test cases to validate that behaviour.

a) is very true ...
Anyway, I think it's very good to specify it.

OTOH, the application server I know about uses marker files to expose
the deployment state, allow the user to manage them, and also (perhaps
more importantly) copies the said deployments to an internal location
(something which I obviously chose to avoid at all costs in Tomcat when
I did the deployer hacks). That sort of behavior is a possible option,
but I'm not sure it fits Tomcat well.

Rémy