tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1420586 [1/48] - in /tomcat/site/trunk/docs/tomcat-7.0-doc: ./ api/ api/org/apache/catalina/ api/org/apache/catalina/ant/ api/org/apache/catalina/ant/jmx/ api/org/apache/catalina/authenticator/ api/org/apache/catalina/comet/ api/org/apache...
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:40:55 GMT
Mark,

On 12/12/12 3:13 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,
>
>> On 12/12/12 4:42 AM, markt@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: markt Date: Wed Dec 12 09:32:51 2012 New Revision:
>>> 1420586

>> Did we ever decide that the API Javadoc for javax.servlet was
>> copywritten and therefore could not be included in Tomcat sources?
>> We discussed it a while back.
>
> The current javax.servlet.* Javadoc is correctly licensed under the
> ALv2. There are no issues with the current source.

Okay.

> For the classes where there are gaps, the Javadoc *may not* be copied
> from the reference implementation (or any other source unless the
> source has an appropriate license and the necessary entries are made
> in LICENSE and NOTICE). It must be written independently from
> knowledge of the specification.
>
> You'll notice that it is mainly Servlet 3.0 and 3.1 changes where
> there are gaps.

Yeah, this was really where my question was aimed: the new stuff for 3.0.

> Practically, this is a little tricky since you have to read the RI
> Javadoc to get a full understanding of the specification. I tend to
> read up on an area that I am working on (Javadoc, spec, Tomcat's
> implementation), do the work and then write the Javadoc.

Okay. My go-to reference for the servlet API are those pages hosted by
ASF under the Tomcat umbrella. So, it's a PITA when stuff isn't
documented. I can't seem to find any online servlet API documentation
from Oracle -- you have to download it and view it locally.

Is our only option to read the RI javadocs, forget them, then try to
document from scratch?

-chris