tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1415184 - in /tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk: ./ test/org/apache/catalina/authenticator/TestNonLoginAndBasicAuthenticator.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 18:22:12 GMT
On 03/12/12 16:22, Brian Burch wrote:
> On 03/12/12 11:44, Brian Burch wrote:
>> On 02/12/12 22:00, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> <snip/>
>>> According to Buildbot logs, testBasicLoginSessionTimeout() runs for 2
>>> minutes (125 seconds), mainly due to a sleep() call.
>>>
>>> I wish there were a way to speed up this test.
>>>
>>> My thoughts
>>> a) Maybe use reflection to reduce StandardSession.lastAccessedTime and
>>> thisAccessedTime by some fixed amount (60000) instead of waiting for
>>> that time to pass.
>>
>> That would speed up the test... but it sounds like adding a time machine
>> to the test class! My feeling is this would add inappropriate logical
>> complexity to a test that has always created and destroyed a tomcat
>> instance for each test case (there are now 15).
>>
>> However, I intend to replicate most of the improvements from this test
>> class into the other authenticator tests, so I am already apprehensive
>> about adding too many 60+ second delays to the entire suite.
>>
>> Mark and I briefly discussed adding a new protected method for use by
>> these timeout tests:
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setSessionTimeoutSecs(int
>> secs)
>
> Silly me! Sorry if that left you wondering what I meant. That particular
> method already exists, is public, and is called setSessionTimeout.
>
> What I meant to suggest was this:
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.setSessionTimeoutSecs(int timeout)
>
> because it would be much simpler to modify the Context in the test
> setUp, rather than each individual Session.
>
>> What do you think?

The change seemed almost trivial to me, but I couldn't work out how to
implement it without changing the public api, i.e.

I have only found one place where it is used:

org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.setContext(Context context)

has this logic:

// Register with the new Context (if any)
if (this.context != null) {
     setMaxInactiveInterval(this.context.getSessionTimeout() * 60);
     this.context.addPropertyChangeListener(this);
}

I wanted to move the "60" back into StandardContext, but that doesn't
work because it means changing the org.apache.catalina.Context api to
work in seconds instead of minutes. ManagerBase and StandardContext are
in different packages, so a protected accessor for the timeout in
seconds wouldn't work either.

On the other hand, I wondered about defining an alternative timeout in
seconds within the ManagerBase, which would only be used by unit tests.
ManagerBase would use its own timeout if non-zero, otherwise use the
Context value in minutes.

I would really appreciate some guidance on the best way to proceed.
(Perhaps it is better to keep things simple by living with an 80 seconds
test time?)