tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Winterberger <sean.winterber...@gmail.com>
Subject Websocket ping/pong feature request
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:03:33 GMT
We are attempting to implement ping/pong functionality but have run into a
wall with the Tomcat Websocket implementation.  Unless we are missing
something, there seems to be no way of modifying the opcode on a frame
prior to sending it without using reflection.  The WsOutbound object
currently has a method for pong, but we would like to be sending a ping
from the server to all clients.

We could implement our own ping/pong with our client devices however the
RFC implementation is much more attractive due to its small size, plus we
already have it implemented in our websocket implementation on the client
side.

If there was a way to safely get a handle on the UpgradeOutbound object we
could write the frame ourselves.

Is there any plan to add a ping(ByteBuffer data) method or a method which
allows modifications to the opcode of a frame?

Best Regards,
Sean Winterberger