tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Fray <f...@itcf.biz>
Subject Re: Custom compression filters
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:34:32 GMT
Thanks for your reply, Konstantin and Jess.
The main reason for adding this feature to the Container is the same as for all features provided
by a Container:
My applications should not deal with these details.

Currently I'm looking at adding Googles Snappy to some servers.
I could add filters to my applications, but if possible, I'd like to get around this, as I'd
have to do it to a bunch of applications,
partially running on the same Tomcat or JBoss instances.

I'm currently thinking about which way to go.
Patching Tomcat was not that hard and it was fun anyway.
Maintaining a custom Tomcat codeline is something I'd like to avoid (I've already got a customized
installation, but this deals only with configuration and packaging).
Maybe Jess is right and a ServletFilter is not that bad, grmbl :-)

I've already implemented an initial version. It's not ideal, but it's enough for me to play
around:

Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Florian

Am 30.09.2012 um 10:42 schrieb Konstantin Kolinko:

> 2012/9/29 Florian Fray <fray@itcf.biz>:
>> Dear TC Devs,
>>
>> while looking around in TC 7 I've found no possibility to plug-in a custom compression
filter.

>> So I've had a quick look at the code to find out that the gzip-handling is coded
into AbstractHttp11Processor.

> Only HTTP protocol management is performed by AbstractHttp11Processor.
> The gzip support is just an org.apache.coyote.http11.OutputFilter.
>
>> Though I could create a custom processor, I'd like to know whether there's any interest
in having the standard processors supporting custom compressions.