tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resources - Is DirContext the right basis for the API?
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:14:57 GMT
On 27/09/2012 10:09, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> I am sure that DirContext is not the right API to define resources.
>
> At best is could be a [deprecated] view/proxy to the actual implementation.
>
> The only benefit I see in using this API by someone is that the API
> itself is defined in javax.* and so one can avoid compile-time
> dependencies on Tomcat code.

The only reason I can see for avoiding Tomcat dependencies is
portability. There is no guarantee that other containers will provide
the same interface. There is, however, a reason for other containers not
to provide the same interface - the Servlet API already provides a
standard, container neutral, portable way to access resources.

Is there another use case where avoiding compile time dependencies might
be useful?

Mark