tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resources - Is DirContext the right basis for the API?
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:54:28 GMT
On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 07:34 -0700, Costin Manolache wrote:
> One use for a resource API is if it provides different backends - like
> Hadoop filesystem abstraction
> does. Than you could serve from hdfs/db/etc, and someone could use the same
> api in deploy tools
>  or general programs.
> One of the unrealized benefits with JNDI was that it may provide many
> backends - LDAP, DB, etc -
> that would be directly usable in tomcat.

Yes, you convinced me to bother with JNDI in order to have a standard
API that others could use if they wanted to integrate. I used it in
Slide, but that was it, so it wasn't useful in the end. Of course, we
had no real idea to know that at the time, and it is possibly because we
didn't bother documenting/advertising it much.

> If the new resources can be implemented as a self-contained dependency,
> i.e. don't require
> the entire tomcat - someone could use them in other apps.
>
> BTW - how does it compare with hadoop FS ?

Rémy