tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: error while shutting down tomcat
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 22:27:10 GMT

On 8/14/12 6:18 PM, Ijlal EL HAZITI wrote:
> I installed a wab application (sakai precisely) on a distant
> server remotely, but it doesn't start, and when I shutdown tomcat,
> I get that error:

This is a question better targeted at the Tomcat users' list. I am
cross-posting and will not reply again to this thread on the Tomcat
development mailing list. Please join the users' list and post there
from now on.

> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat Using CATALINA_HOME:
> /opt/tomcat Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat/temp Using JRE_HOME:
> /opt/java Using CLASSPATH:
> /opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar 14
> août 2012 13:55:44 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
> *GRAVE: Catalina.stop: Connection
> refused* at Method)
> at at
> at at
> at
> at
><init>( at
><init>( at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(
> at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(

If Tomcat hasn't started, then you will be unable to shut it down.

> tomcat instance starts fine.

Tomcat starts fine, or fails to start? You have claimed both observations.

> before deploying sakai, there were no errors while starting or
> shutting down tomcat.
>> From a search on google, I understood that it could be a firewall
>> or port
> problem, so, I disabled the firewall, and all the ports that are
> mentionned in the conf/server.xml aren't used by other processes.

This really depends upon the circumstances. Please join the users'
mailing list and provide more information.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -