tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Back-porting versus brand-new patch
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:31:20 GMT
All,

Recently, I have made a proposal or to to back-port changes into Tomcat
6. In one case, Konstantin has (helpfully!) provided a new patch based
upon several changes to trunk/TC7.

In this case, is it more appropriate to apply the single patch to TC6
and ignore those patches made to trunk, or should I attempt to back-port
as much as possible to keep as much svn:mergeinfo as possible?
Practically, the log messages and changelog should be enough for anyone
interested in the history of the code, but I wanted to be clear at what
point attempts to do an 'svn merge' should be abandoned in favor of a
cleaner patch derived from the originals.

Thanks,
-chris