tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1374073 - in /tomcat/trunk: java/org/apache/catalina/connector/Response.java java/org/apache/coyote/Response.java java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http/ResponseUtil.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 18:55:48 GMT
Konstantin Kolinko <knst.kolinko@gmail.com> wrote:

>2012/8/17  <markt@apache.org>:
>> Author: markt
>> Date: Thu Aug 16 21:50:44 2012
>> New Revision: 1374073

>I do not like it.

I think it has some merit but if I can't convince you then I'd be happy removing the special
handling for content-language.

It comes down to whether or not there is enough in the specification to justify that setting
the content-language header is equivalent to calling setLocale. I thought there was - just
- in the description of setLocale.

>My concerns are that
>================
>1) It contradicts the specification of ServletResponse.getLocale().

Not an issue *if* we decide setting the content-language header is equivalent to setLocale.

>2) This implementation may change the value of Content-Language header
>
>It relies on roundtrip of header -> Locale -> header, but this
>roundtrip may change the value of the header (explained below).  I
>think that if the header has been set explicitly, it would be better
>to preserve it as is.

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that it would be better to revert this
commit and remove the special handling for content-language.

Mark