tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: tomcat 7.0.29 startup time
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:14:27 GMT
Hi Mark,

thanks for the clarifications, highly appreciated!

As far as the empty <absolute-ordering/> goes: After reading the spec again I've been
down to that route as well. So far it didn't work out. Maybe I've just done something wrong
- will revisit and try again. Should the <absolute-ordering/> only affect the jars with
web-fragments, or does it disable scanning of all jars then?

I also discovered another possible impact:

Our scenario is to use 1 tomcat installation as 'quasi EAR' container. We use the shared.loader
in conf/catalina.properties and set it to our own ${catalina.home}/applib directory which
contains all our shared libraries (myfaces, openwebbeans, openjpa, ...).
For what I did understand by reading the servlet-3.0 spec is that only fragments and classes
in either WEB-INF/classes or WEB-INF/lib/*.jar shall get scanned by tomcat, right? But it
seems that also all our shared.loader jars will get scanned as well. I have not explicitly
debugged thru, but from the startup times I see no other explanation as our WARs contain almost
no jars.

If I set the jarToSkip=*.jar then the boot time is back to normal.

Is there an explanation in the servlet spec, or does tomcat scan a bit too much yet?

txs and LieGrue,
strub