tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject tomcat 7.0.29 startup time
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:00:03 GMT
Hi Lords and Ladies!

I'm currently wrangling with a doubled boot time on tomcat7.0.29 in comparison to 7.0.28 (12
webapps in my tc: 7.0.28 < 45s, 7.0.29 > 90s).

I'm aware that 7.0.29 now does the scanning for ServletContainerInitializer even if version=2.5
is specified. But there shall no class scanning be performed if metadata-complete="true" is
set, right? The problem is that @HandlesTypes forces scanning. And regardless if you only
scanning or the types registered via @HandlesTypes or searching for all - the startup time
is almost the same. This is because the most expensive part is the file and zip handling...

So even if the webapp is metadata-complete, it still performs all the class scanning.
You can prove this by simply adding Apache MyFaces to a sample webapp. Any other sample which
utilizes a ServletContainerInitializer and has @HandlesTypes will also do the job.

In my case it's even more fatal: I have the FacesServlet configured via web.xml, so the whole
MyFaces ServletContextInitializer is not used at all...

Any ideas how we can ease the pain quickly?

I know the Servlet-EG 'clarified' that only recently, but being an EG member myself I know
exactly that this can be reverted if it only got 'recently clarified'. Nothing is set in stone
until a final MR spec with an absolute binding wording got released. Mark, others, what about
explaining the impact to the EG again and maybe they change their mind?

For the long run you might be interested in commons-classscan we do over at commons atm. The
idea is to have all sorts of ASF projects (tomcat, OpenWebBeans, OpenEJB, MyFaces, BVal, OpenJPA,
...) register their needs upfront and do the scanning only once.
But it will take a bit until we have something to show off I fear as most of us are under
heavy load in other ASF projects as well.

LieGrue,
strub