tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.28
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 07:28:54 GMT
On 17.06.2012 22:08, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 16/06/2012 10:04, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> Most noteable observation: File conf/web.xml now is open 9 times in
>> parallel (9 file descriptors), was 4 times in 7.0.27.
>
> I see 9 open file handle in Windows but this drops to zero once I force
> a full GC. On this basis, I'm not concerned but it would be good if you
> could confirm the same behaviour.

Confirmed, closed after full GC, so likely a Finalizer run. Nothing to
worry.

> I suspect my getResourceAsStream() changes might be responsible for
> this. I believe we are doing everything we should to close the streams
> so I don't think there is anything we can do about these.

I guess you can't get down to the native FD and closing the files is
postponed until the Finalizer runs.

>> - src consistent with svn tag, except for the following minor points
>>    (no regression)
>>    - line ends of modules/jdbc-pool/resources/MANIFEST.MF differ
>>      between svn and gz although eol-style is set correctly.
>
> *.MF is not in the list of text file types. I'll fix that in a sec.

OK.

>>    - the files we copy before building, e.g.
>>      catalina.properties and jdbc-pool.xml are of course
>>      not in svn for the cp target location, but they are
>>      in the src bundles.
>
> I have fixed this for trunk and 7.0.x.

Cool

>> - JMX MBean-Comparison
>>    - tldScanTime went up for /docs from 7 to 53 (maybe not significant)
>>      and for /examples from 275 to 470 (but varies between 280 and 750)
>
> Hmm. getResoureAsStream() again?

As I wrote the times are varying a lot between runs. Retrying with
7.0.27 it seems it is a bit faster, but I only tried a few times and
it's not enough for real statistics. I might do some more serious check
with lots of starts and stops this evening.

Regards,

Rainer