tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: non blocking API
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:05:02 GMT
On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 16:59 -0600, Filip Hanik (mailing lists) wrote:
> I posted some feedback to the expert group:
>
> http://java.net/projects/servlet-spec/lists/users/archive/2012-06/message/15

You can find all the discussions about the API in the archive, which
hopefully explain nearly all of the items:
http://java.net/projects/servlet-spec/lists/jsr340-experts/archive
(summary: reuse of existing API, efficiency, user simplicity)

As for the flags without listeners, it is the regular blocking IO, no
polling occurs (so ready + canWrite are false; in theory ready could be
true if there's something in the servlet buffer). The flag definition is
actually rather precise already (returns false if it may block), but
there's additional wording which will be added later.

So, sorry about the "bad" result, but that's the least worst the EG
could come up with so far, after considering all API styles (I believe).

Rémy