tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Preißer <verlag.preis...@t-online.de>
Subject RE: Possible IIS SPDY Redirector for Tomcat
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 00:29:32 GMT
Hello all,

Recently I read on a thread in the Google SPDY forums that Jetty has now support for SPDY/3
in their latest 7.6.5 and 8.1.5 snapshots [1]. Therefore I tried to use the SPDY redirector
to connect to Jetty, to see if it is working correctly :)

Since I wrote the last E-Mail, I have done some changes to the SPDY redirector:
- the IIS Module now supports redirecting requests which contain an entity body (e.g. POST
requests),
- Improved logging (esp. for the low-level SpdyConnector, so one can see which SPDY Frames
are actually sent/received) - however I think current logging should probably replaced by
frameworks like Apache log4net,
- Fixed various bugs which I spotted during testing with Jetty.

I had running Jetty, the Java NPN tunnel and IIS with the SPDY module on one virtual machine,
and a browser on another PC. When I browsed to some simple HTML pages containing images etc.,
it seemed to me that the performance (answer time / page load time) was very good (HTTP client/Browser
receives response nearly immediately after sending the request), whereas on previous testings
with Google Servers (running Browser, IIS and Java NPN tunnel on the same virtual machine)
performance was rather poor (it took several times longer until all images were loaded, as
compared to accessing the Google Server directly) - I currently don't know the cause of this.

I have also done some tests with Servlets that e.g. produce lots of data (and a slow consumer),
to verify that Flow Control is working correctly in both directions.

(However it seems that current Jetty version has some problems with SPDY - e.g. sometimes
CPU usage of Jetty goes up to 100% and it doesn't respond on the SPDY connection any more.)

I have committed the changes to the SVN repo which I'm using [2], so you can try the latest
version with IIS 7.x/8.x, e.g. to connect to Jetty (according to the thread in Google Groups,
it should be possible to set up Jetty's SPDY connector to not use TLS/NPN, so that you don't
need a SSL certificate and the java NPN tunnel).

I would be happy if you have some feedback :)

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/spdy-dev/and5OLY4AsI
[2] https://kinderbasar-luhe.de:8543/svn/PreisserNormaleProjekte/SpdyConnector/.Net/SPDY-Redirector/