tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Purpose of unlockAccept
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 22:44:49 GMT
On 05/07/2012 11:05 PM, Costin Manolache wrote:
> By 'unlockAccept' you mean the socket connection made to the acceptor to
> force the accept() to unblock ? How are you getting the socket accept() to
> return, my understanding was that close() or thread interrupt don't work in
> all cases/VMs.

Well, my question is why the need to break the accept() call
at the first place?
I mean if we are in the pause so that all sessions time out
the extra connection would in worse case scenario double the
cumulative session timeout, so you server might actually go down in
19.9 instead 10 minutes, but who cares.
The amount of complexity we are throwing inside unlockAccept is
just getting insane, and it's still fragile.

Another alternate solution might be to setSoTimeout on
accept socket and eat any SocketTimeoutException.
It would mean that we would pull out of accept() each 10 seconds,
and on busy server it might take more then 10 seconds to unlockAccept
anyhow.

Regards
--
^TM