tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1307093 - /tomcat/trunk/modules/jdbc-pool/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/jdbc/pool/DisposableConnectionFacade.java
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 20:34:01 GMT
2012/4/4 Filip Hanik Mailing Lists <devlists@hanik.com>:

>> I know of two places where long lines cause problems:
>>
>> 1. Commit e-mails.
>>
>> Long lines are wrapped and it impacts readability.
>>
>> 2. Side-by-side comparison in viewvc when you do "colored" comparison
>
> here I see a challenge, since so many of our commits, are not code commits, but like
a line wrap commit like this,
> this pollutes our diffs and why I'm not a big fan of changing it for changing it.

I do not remember many line-wrap commits.
There are ending whitespace commits, because sometimes people forget
to run checkstyle and we would be nagged if someone does not fix the
code.

>> Therefore I would like to stick to the current convention of 80
>> chars.
>> It is not a hard convention (we do not enforce it through
>> checkstyle),
>> but something to follow.
>
> The "convention" is something fairly new. For most of the time of Tomcat's life time,
it was the committers preference, but fairly recently is when we started modifying style for
style's sake. So the archives you refer to, can't go that far back. The only convention we've
had through the history of Tomcat, is spaces, not tabs, not line length etc.

a. I might be not very careful in selecting English words. Please excuse me.

b. I do not see much difference between "convention" and "preference".
If it is a preference of many then it has to be respected as a
convention. Isn't it?

Previous discussion (December 2010):
http://markmail.org/thread/alo77qd4yiduvqvz

We also have this description of our coding style:
http://tomcat.apache.org/getinvolved.html#Coding_Conventions

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko