tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible alternative Tomcat IIS Connector implementation
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:23:31 GMT
On 03/12/2012 02:08 AM, Konstantin Prei├čer wrote:
> Hello Tomcat developers,
>

> Advantages:
> - Easier to maintain. I have looked a bit at the ISAPI code, and as it is C++ code, it
is probably somewhat hard to maintain. As I said, for this connector (in the current stage)
I only spend one day to read the AJP documentation and to program the module, so it is probably
very easy to write a AJP connector this way. :)
> - Easier to install (you don't have to setup virtual directories etc).

I would rather see SPDY connector over AJP.
AJP has serious limitations, and recently we discussed using SPDY for
server-to-server communication.

> Disadvantages:
> -Probably worse Performance. Although I haven't done any performance tests (and when
testing with a normal browser, I didn't notice any performance slowdown), such a managed connector
probably has a bit worse performance compared to the ISAPI connector. (However, the current
implementation also doesn't use an AJP Connection pool; and you would need to precompile the
C# code to a .dll file for optimal performance).

Well, you have a very optimistic list here ;)
Think that the performance is of least concern.

> Please let me know what you think about it. I won't be disappointed if you aren't interested
in it or if there's no requirement for such a connector, but I'm happy for any feedback, and
I would also be willing to give the code, licences etc. to the Apache software foundation,
if that's possible.

Like said. Not sure if the AJP protocol is the right direction.
The current connector does the job and exploits the AJP protocol to its
maximum and I see no purpose for another AJP connector.

Sure install might be simpler, but only if you don't
count differences in .NET each IIS requires so hardly binary portable like
isapi_redirector which can basically run on any IIS for XP up.

Regards
--
^TM