tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Tomcat Native 1.1.23
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:12:53 GMT
On 02/22/2012 05:47 PM, Costin Manolache wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Mladen Turk<mturk@apache.org>  wrote:
>
> One thing I would appreciate help with: I would like to have an option to
> statically link
> openssl and apr into the tc-native .so - I mean use openssl.a, apr.a.

You mean for unixes?
The solution would be to create stub libssl.so and libcrypto.so
so that libtcnative don't carry their SONAME and link to system so.x...

Static linkage is not a good idea I'm afraid.

> The reason is to avoid the system libraries which will probably have the
> wrong version.

Right. Having stubs, libtcnative will always link to libssl.so which
is usually symlink on any system.
At runtime we can check for SSL_version and fail in case it has wrong ABI.

However, not sure why you wish to do that. Many distros already provide
tomcat-native so there's no real point for doing that, especially since
we should not distribute unix binaries.

Regards.
--
^TM