tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Custom rules for commons-digester
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:01:00 GMT
Konstantin,

> 2012/2/14 Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net>:
>> All,
>>
>> There are 15 or so custom rule classes in the Tomcat sources for
>> handling various commons-digester events.
>>
>> I've only taken a brief glance at their content, but I'm wondering if we
>> can't replace these classes with an XML-based configuration that the
>> Digester itself can handle for us.
>>
>> Such a change would eliminate those classes form our own code base as
>> well as allow us to remove the package-renamed code from
>> commons-digester in SVN (of course, we'd still have to re-package
>> commons-digester for distribution, but at least we'd have less source to
>> deal with).
>>
>> Other than some logging (I can see, for instance, that
>> ConnectorCreateRule emits warnings when setter methods can't be found on
>> the target class), is there a compelling reason to have source-based
>> rules instead of configuration-based rules?
>
> They are faster.

Fair enough, but server.xml is processed only once on startup. Unless
you're seeing an insane performance increase, I would suggest that
maintainability might be more important than performance.

(This also assumes that maintaining an XML-based configuration file
represents less effort than maintaining the equivalent source code, but
as I said previously, it would allow us to purge our copies of the
Digester from our own svn repo as well, which I see as a win).

-chris