tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Custom rules for commons-digester
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:11:21 GMT
All,

There are 15 or so custom rule classes in the Tomcat sources for
handling various commons-digester events.

I've only taken a brief glance at their content, but I'm wondering if we
can't replace these classes with an XML-based configuration that the
Digester itself can handle for us.

Such a change would eliminate those classes form our own code base as
well as allow us to remove the package-renamed code from
commons-digester in SVN (of course, we'd still have to re-package
commons-digester for distribution, but at least we'd have less source to
deal with).

Other than some logging (I can see, for instance, that
ConnectorCreateRule emits warnings when setter methods can't be found on
the target class), is there a compelling reason to have source-based
rules instead of configuration-based rules?

Thanks,
-chris