tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Trivial Update of "FAQ/Miscellaneous" by johno
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:06:31 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ/Miscellaneous" page has been changed by johno:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Miscellaneous?action=diff&rev1=28&rev2=29

Comment:
Corrected capitalisation.

   1. [[#Q17|How do I make a scheduled event on Tomcat?]]
   1. [[#Q18|What is Element "web-app" does not allow "servlet" here?]]
   1. [[#Q19|How do I open a file for reading in my webapp?]]
-  1. [[#Q20|Can I run tomcat with the JRE, or do I need the full JDK?]]
+  1. [[#Q20|Can I run Tomcat with the JRE, or do I need the full JDK?]]
-  1. [[#Q21|Is tomcat an EJB server? Can I use EJBs with tomcat?]]
+  1. [[#Q21|Is Tomcat an EJB server? Can I use EJBs with Tomcat?]]
-  1. [[#Q22|Can I access Tomcat's JNDI provider from outside tomcat?]]
+  1. [[#Q22|Can I access Tomcat's JNDI provider from outside Tomcat?]]
-  1. [[#Q23|Who uses tomcat in production?]]
+  1. [[#Q23|Who uses Tomcat in production?]]
   1. [[#Q24|I'm getting java.lang.ThreadDeath exceptions when reloading my webapp.]]
   1. [[#Q25|Help! Even though I run shutdown.sh (or shutdown.bat), Tomcat does not stop!]]
   1. [[#Q26|How do I debug JSP errors in the Admin web application?]]
@@ -99, +99 @@

  {{{javax.servlet.ServletContext.getServerInfo();}}}

- Starting with tomcat 5.0.28 - there is now a version.sh (or version.bat) program in the
bin directory. It will print the version number of tomcat to Standard output.
+ Starting with Tomcat 5.0.28 - there is now a version.sh (or version.bat) program in the
bin directory. It will print the version number of Tomcat to Standard output.

  <<BR>>
@@ -138, +138 @@

  <<Anchor(Q8)>>'''How do I configure Tomcat to NOT to store the sessions during
shutdown?'''

- [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/manager.html|Look at the Session manager
component and tweak accordingly. One way is to tell tomcat to persist sessions to a path which
does not exist. (So tomcat will not store, or be able to load the sessions)]]
+ [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/manager.html|Look at the Session manager
component and tweak accordingly. One way is to tell Tomcat to persist sessions to a path which
does not exist. (So Tomcat will not store, or be able to load the sessions)]]

  <<BR>>
@@ -272, +272 @@

  <<BR>>

- <<Anchor(Q20)>>'''Can I run tomcat with the JRE, or do I need the full JDK?'''
+ <<Anchor(Q20)>>'''Can I run Tomcat with the JRE, or do I need the full JDK?'''

  Tomcat 4 requires the full JDK. Tomcat 5.5 onwards will work with a JRE or a JDK.

  <<BR>>

- <<Anchor(Q21)>>'''Is tomcat an EJB server? Can I use EJBs with tomcat?'''
+ <<Anchor(Q21)>>'''Is Tomcat an EJB server? Can I use EJBs with Tomcat?'''

- Tomcat is not an EJB server. Tomcat is not a full J2EE server. Tomcat is a Servlet container.
Tomcat does support those parts of the J2EE specification that are required for Servlets,
such as a subset of JNDI functionality. Furthermore, you can connect to remote J2EE servers,
or run tomcat embedded inside a full J2EE server.
+ Tomcat is not an EJB server. Tomcat is not a full J2EE server. Tomcat is a Servlet container.
Tomcat does support those parts of the J2EE specification that are required for Servlets,
such as a subset of JNDI functionality. Furthermore, you can connect to remote J2EE servers,
or run Tomcat embedded inside a full J2EE server.

  [[http://tomee.apache.org/apache-tomee.html|Apache TomEE]] is a Java EE certified distribution
built from Tomcat and contains support for EJB, CDI, JSF, JPA, BeanValidation and Transactions.
 The goal of TomEE is to maintain all Tomcat functionality and identity, only adding what
is necessary to pass that Java EE 6 Web Profile TCK.  A second distribution, called TomEE
Plus, adds JAX-RS, JAX-WS, JMS and support for the JavaEE Connector Architecture.

  <<BR>>

- <<Anchor(Q22)>>'''Can I access Tomcat's JNDI provider from outside tomcat?'''
+ <<Anchor(Q22)>>'''Can I access Tomcat's JNDI provider from outside Tomcat?'''

  Not at this time.

  <<BR>>

- <<Anchor(Q23)>>'''Who uses tomcat in production?'''
+ <<Anchor(Q23)>>'''Who uses Tomcat in production?'''

  Numerous organizations across various industries all over the world. A full listing can
be found at the [[http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/PoweredBy|Wiki]].