tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: ant build failing: could not find file modules/jdbc-pool/doc/jdbc-pool.xml to copy
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 04:09:21 GMT
2012/1/9 S Ahmed <>:
> Well the readme said it may fail on mac osx because it tries to write to
> /usr/share/java to store the libraries etc.

Eh, which readme?
It is a bad idea to let them been written to /usr/share/java. That is
just a default value.

You should really reconfigure it to use some other place (as
documented in BUILDING.txt).

You should not run any random things with "sudo", unless you
understand the consequences.

> When I ran ant, the build didn't work, running sudo allowed it continue
> (but from now on running just ant w/o sudo is fine, I guess it was just
> initially to write to that folder).
> Anyhow, I'll try the svn then thanks.
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Konstantin Kolinko
> <>wrote:
>> 2012/1/9 S Ahmed <>:
>> > 2. sudo ant
>> Just curious regarding the above command:  you do not need root rights
>> to build Tomcat!
>> Actually you should never be using root rights when building, testing
>> and using Tomcat.
>> (The only exception is running it with jsvc service wrapper).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: