tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1183612 [2/2] - /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/ContextConfig.java
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:07:22 GMT
On 18/01/12 08:26, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 1/13/2012 8:30 PM, Brian Burch wrote:
>> On 14/01/12 09:45, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>>> No grudge held :)
>>> I'm just bringing it up since very many files have been reformatted for
>>> the sake of formatting. And when tracing down a problem, I, and I
>>> suspect others too, often use SVN history to figure out what and how
>>> changed. So a formatting change that makes satisfies a personal
>>> formatting preference for one developer, down the line can make it a lot
>>> harder to trace changes for others.
>>
>> I don't want to throw petrol on glowing embers, and I realise my own efforts barely
count.
>> However, when I've been researching the history of changes in logic that I didn't
fully
>> understand, the svn history has been unhelpful and confusing. Now I understand why!
>
> One very useful trick is svn diff -x --ignore-all-whitespace -x --ignore-eol-style

Thanks for the tip, Will.

I use Netbeans as my IDE: on the miscellaneous properties tabbed pane
for the diff command, I already had the checkbox set for "ignore leading
and trailing whitespace", but didn't have "ignore changes in inner
whitespace" set.

It is hard to remember exactly what was causing me confusion at the
time, but that must have been a contributory factor. I suspect seeing
changes that were "no change" confused me and drove me to the command
line, where I saw the changes were HUGE and yet for no apparent
difference - just loads of lines deleted and re-added.

I hope it is already policy that "editorial mass changes" should be
clearly marked in the commit message text and should not alter any
logic, signatures, etc.

Brian