tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:03:03 GMT
On 17.01.2012 02:15, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Mark Thomas<markt@apache.org>:

src dist. So when rebuilding from src dist and running unit tests, I get a failure in TestVirtualContext,
because some resource which is usually retrieved form the target dir is missing:

directory. I CC'd Sylvain explicitely, maybe he can comment on it.

>>> If there are no side effect to dropping this exclude, you may do it (I really
don't know enough of the build system of tomcat).
>>> Otherwise I can rename those directories so that it is not excluded. Just let
me know.

>> If I recall correctly, those directories are excluded because some IDEs
>> use that name by default. If you could rename them that would be great.
>
> Not IDEs, but Maven. It writes its output into directories named
> "target", in each of its modules. (I guess that is not configurable,
> grr...)
>
> That is why "target" was present in .gitignore when it was first added,
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1187740
>
> This fault is a combination of mine
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1204938
>
> that applied patterns from gitignore to src distribution and of Sylvain's
> [3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1209731
>
> when Sylvain removed that line from ".gitignore"
> and used that name in his commit.
>

> I am generally in favor of using more targeted patterns in "dist-source" target,
> (That is, comment out "**/target/**" for now, with a comment that we
> use that name,
> and add the same comment to .gitignore
> and later exclude more specific patterns when a need comes)
> but consider if one of developers used Maven to work on something in modules.

Done in r1232345 (trunk) and r1232346 (tc7).

> Currently modules/jdbc-pool and modules/tomcat-lite have pom.xml,
> though svn:ignore property on those directories does not list "target"
> as excluded.

Regards,

Rainer