tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: More Caching for WebappClassLoader?
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:17:37 GMT
> Rainer,
>
> On 1/10/12 5:37 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> It would matter if they take the reedom to return something new if
>> loadClass() is called for a class that was already loaded - and
>> something changed for the CL. For example a custom CL could check every
>> now and then whether the classes have dynamically changed and then
>> return the new ones. If we cache the first result of loadClass() in our
>> loader higher up the hierarchy, the custom CL lower down will never be
>> called again for the class and wouldn't be able to update it.
>
> I'm not sure why a custom CL would be "lower" in the hierarchy than the
> WebappClassLoader but then also not have first-crack at loading the
> classes it had originally loaded. If the CL follows parent-first
> semantics then this might be a problem, but if the CL follows me-first
> semantics, then this will not be a problem.

By custom CL I didn't mean a custom WebappClassLoader, but something
that sity between the WebappClassLoader and the JVM, so somewhere in the
parent or in the super hierarchie to provide additional features.
Typically not provided to improve Tomcat instead to improve class

But as said, I'll keep the aggressive caching optional, default off.

Regards,

Rainer