tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Change in behavior for Connector maxKeepAliveRequests in 7.0.21+
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:00:45 GMT
2011/11/17 Ryan Morgan <rmorgan@vmware.com>:

> Hey everyone,
>
> As part of the HTTP connector refactoring that occurred in 7.0.21 (see http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?diff_format=h&view=revision&revision=1158367)
the Connector behavior has changed when maxKeepAliveRequests is set to 0.  In Tomcat 7.0.20
and earlier, a setting of 0 would disable keepalives for the connector.  In 7.0.21 an up,
it's enabled and from what I can tell, set to infinite.

> Was this change intended?  From looking at the documentation, the updated code is correct
as a value of 0 is not mentioned.  However, this could cause issues for servers that have
maxKeepAliveRequests mis-configured to 0 and upgrade to 7.0.21+

Just a quick look at Tomcat 6.0 documentation (config/http.html)
reveals that it does not document the value of "0" either. That
specific sentence in Tomcat 6.0 docs was not updated since r420006
when TC6 development started (5 years ago). So I do not see any
problem here.

The documented values are -1 for infinity, 1 for disable, 100 by default.

The intent of commits around r1158367 was to align implementations
between connectors. It might be that some of them (Bio vs Nio vs Apr)
treated "0" differently.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko