tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Change in behavior for Connector maxKeepAliveRequests in 7.0.21+
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:31:50 GMT
On 11/17/2011 2:00 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2011/11/17 Ryan Morgan<rmorgan@vmware.com>:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> As part of the HTTP connector refactoring that occurred in 7.0.21 (see http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?diff_format=h&view=revision&revision=1158367)
the Connector behavior has changed when maxKeepAliveRequests is set to 0.  In Tomcat 7.0.20
and earlier, a setting of 0 would disable keepalives for the connector.  In 7.0.21 an up,
it's enabled and from what I can tell, set to infinite.

>> Was this change intended?  From looking at the documentation, the updated code is
correct as a value of 0 is not mentioned.  However, this could cause issues for servers that
have maxKeepAliveRequests mis-configured to 0 and upgrade to 7.0.21+
> Just a quick look at Tomcat 6.0 documentation (config/http.html)
> reveals that it does not document the value of "0" either. That
> specific sentence in Tomcat 6.0 docs was not updated since r420006
> when TC6 development started (5 years ago). So I do not see any
> problem here.
>
> The documented values are -1 for infinity, 1 for disable, 100 by default.
>
> The intent of commits around r1158367 was to align implementations
> between connectors. It might be that some of them (Bio vs Nio vs Apr)
> treated "0" differently.
then it may have been better to align around BIO, as NIO doesn't suffer thread starvation
when keep alive is on.