tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing whitespace from *.xsd and *.dtd files
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:39:38 GMT
2011/10/23 Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>:
> On 22/10/2011 23:33, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> <snip/>
>
>>> I don't see the harm in removing the trailing white-space from these
>>> files. It shouldn't change their meaning.
>>
>> From technical point of view it should not. But all of them originate
>> from somewhere, and I would not want them to differ from their
>> originals more than necessary.
>
> That is a fair point.
>
> My own preference is for not having to list them as exclusions in the
> checkstyle config. Thinking about it, I'm not sure how easy that would
> be. It is easy enough to filter by file extension but that doesn't quite
> work in this case. I'd rather not have a separate checkstyle file just
> for trailing white-space but I don't see another way to exclude the spec
> files.
>
> Given that diff tools can be easily configured to ignore white-space I'm
> leaning towards leaving things as they currently are.

I am -1 on applying trailing whitespaces check on *.java files.

It has no practical value. It does not improve readability. I do not
see what it can be useful for. It is just useless nagging.

There are file types where check for trailing whitespace is useful,
e.g. *.properties files, (because whitespaces are not trimmed from the
values that are read from the file and might be visible). But for
*.java files I do not see any benefits.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko