tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publishing zips to the maven repo
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:34:08 GMT

On Oct 14, 2011, at 6:05 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> 2011/10/14 Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Can't maven be taught to download them from proper ASF mirrors?
>>
> Possible using this plugin
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/wagon-maven-plugin/download-single-mojo.html

That's where we started and eventually evolved into what we have now.

The build would download the zip to the target directory of the module that needed it.  The
downside is every clean build you would have to re-download the zip.  The thought then comes
into mind, "if there was only some place I could keep it and download it once" and putting
it in the ~/.m2/repository/ directory starts to look really tempting.

At that point it became clear that it would be awkwardly recreating the maven download/mirror
system.

>> Adding the full .zip archive to any Maven repo just seems wrong to me
>> (and using the ASF svn server for this is definitely a very bad idea)
>> but if the folks managing the main Maven repo are happy with this then I
>> have no objection.
> The Central Maven repo already contains huge distrib sample
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/archiva/archiva-jetty/1.3.5/archiva-jetty-1.3.5-bin.zip
> which is ~29M.

Right.  Some more examples (glassfish, jboss, jetty):

  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/glassfish/distributions/glassfish/3.2-b06/
  https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public-jboss/org/jboss/as/jboss-as-dist/7.0.2.Final/
  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/mortbay/jetty/jetty-hightide/8.0.3.v20111011/

-David