tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Campbell, Lance" <la...@illinois.edu>
Subject extreemly simple request to add process name variable to catalina.out
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 16:03:53 GMT
Tomcat 6 enhancement:
Please consider giving us the ability to change the process name for linux applications.
I have identified all of the places I believe this needs to be done.

Would you please consider adding the following to the catalina.sh file:
1) In the variable section at the top please add:

CATALINA_PROCESS_NAME (Optional) This variable will set the linux process name to a particular
value.

2) There needs to be an if statement that checks to see if a value has been passed to CATALINA_PROCESS_NAME.
 If there has been then the string "-a " needs to be appended to the front of the value.
If not then the value would be "".

3) Then replace any occurance of "$_RUNJAVA" with exec "$CATALINA_PROCESS_NAME" .  This will
allow the process to be named.

Thanks for considering this change,

Lance Campbell
Software Architect