tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "HowTo" by KonstantinKolinko
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:28:18 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "HowTo" page has been changed by KonstantinKolinko:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo?action=diff&rev1=109&rev2=110

Comment:
Tweaks to "How do I contribute to Tomcat's documentation" answer

  However, ''do not'' add questions without answers to this page. If you have a question about
how to do something in Tomcat which has not been addressed yet, ask the [[http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users|tomcat-user
list]]. Once you've figured out how to fix your problem, come back and update the Wiki to
allow the rest of us to benefit from what you've learned!

  == How do I contribute to Tomcat's documentation? ==
- - Download the source bundle or grab the source XML file from [[http://tomcat.apache.org/svn.html|Subversion
repository]].  The docs are in the webapps/docs subdirectory.  They are in XML format and
get processed into the HTML documentation as part of the Tomcat release.

+ Download the source bundle or grab the source XML file from [[http://tomcat.apache.org/svn.html|Subversion
repository]]. If you are not familiar with Subversion, see http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html.
+
+ The docs are in the webapps/docs subdirectory.  They are in XML format and get processed
into the HTML documentation as part of the Tomcat release.
+
- - Edit the documentation XML file(s) as you wish.  The xdocs format is self-explanatory:
use normal HTML markup, and add <section> or <subsection> tags as you see fit.
 Look at the existing docs as examples.  Make sure you use valid XML markup.
+ Edit the documentation XML file(s) as you wish.  The xdocs format is self-explanatory: use
normal HTML markup, and add {{{<section>}}} or {{{<subsection>}}} tags as you
see fit.  Look at the existing docs as examples.  Make sure you use valid XML markup.

- - Open a Bugzilla enhancement item with the explanation of your enhancements, and attach
a {{{svn diff}}} or {{{diff -u}}} format of your patch.  We will evaluate and commit your
patch as needed.  Note that the Tomcat web site is updated with every release, so that documentation
changes will not be visible until next Tomcat release.
-
- - If you're interested in previewing your changes, you will need to follow the directions
for building Tomcat yourself.  The docs will be generated in the webapps/docs directory just
like with any normal Tomcat distributions.
+ If you're interested in previewing your changes, you will need to follow the directions
for building Tomcat yourself.  The docs will be generated in the webapps/docs directory just
like with any normal Tomcat distributions.

- - Documentation for current (unreleased) versions of Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7 is published
by ASF Buildbot. See links on the [[http://tomcat.apache.org/ci.html|buildbot]] page on Apache
Tomcat web site.
+ Open a Bugzilla enhancement item with the explanation of your enhancements, and attach a
{{{svn diff}}} or {{{diff -u}}} format of your patch.  We will evaluate and commit your patch
as needed.

- - If you're not familiar with how to grab files from Subversion, see http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html.
+ Note, that the Tomcat web site is updated with every release, so that documentation changes
will not be visible until next Tomcat release. It is possible to view documentation for unreleased
versions of Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 6, that is published by ASF Buildbot. See links on the [[http://tomcat.apache.org/ci.html|buildbot]]
page on Apache Tomcat web site.

  = Installation =