tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "HowTo" by KonstantinKolinko
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:45:13 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "HowTo" page has been changed by KonstantinKolinko:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo?action=diff&rev1=103&rev2=104

Comment:
Replace jakarta references with something more up-to-date

  == How do I add a question to this page? ==
  Anyone may edit this page to add their own content. That is why this page is part of a Wiki
and not a hardcoded static file in the FAQ.

- However, ''do not'' add questions without answers to this page. If you have a question about
how to do something in Tomcat which has not been addressed yet, ask the [[http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/tomcatuser.html|tomcat-user
list]]. Once you've figured out how to fix your problem, come back and update the Wiki to
allow the rest of us to benefit from what you've learned!
+ However, ''do not'' add questions without answers to this page. If you have a question about
how to do something in Tomcat which has not been addressed yet, ask the [[http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users|tomcat-user
list]]. Once you've figured out how to fix your problem, come back and update the Wiki to
allow the rest of us to benefit from what you've learned!

  == How do I set up and run Tomcat on Macintosh OS X? ==
  See [[TomcatOnMacOS]]
@@ -91, +91 @@

  In particular, here are a number of locations for Tomcat Connectors:

-  * [[http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/index.html|Tomcat Connectors Documentation]]
+  * [[http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/index.html|Tomcat Connectors Documentation]]
-  * [[http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/faq.html|Tomcat Connectors FAQ]]
+  * [[http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/miscellaneous/faq.html|Tomcat Connectors FAQ]]
-  * [[http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/config/apache.html|Configuring
Tomcat Connectors for Apache]]
+  * [[http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html|Configuring Tomcat
Connectors for Apache]]
+  * [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/connectors.html|Connectors How To]]
+  * [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html|AJP Connector in Tomcat 7 Configuration
Reference]]

  The following '''excellent''' article was written by Mladen Turk. He is a Developer and
Consultant for JBoss Inc in Europe, where he is responsible for native integration. He is
a long time commiter for Jakarta Tomcat Connectors, Apache Httpd and Apache Portable Runtime
projects.

@@ -123, +125 @@

   1. Turn off the Java JIT compiler. See the Java Docs on how to do this.

  == How do I share sessions across web apps? ==
- You cannot share sessions directly across web apps, as that would be a violation of the
Servlet Specification.  There are workarounds, including using a singleton class loaded from
the common classloader repository to hold shared information, or putting some of this shared
information in a database or another data store.  Some of these approaches have been discussed
on the [[http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/tomcatuser.html|tomcat-user mailing list]],
whose archives you should search for more information.
+ You cannot share sessions directly across web apps, as that would be a violation of the
Servlet Specification.  There are workarounds, including using a singleton class loaded from
the common classloader repository to hold shared information, or putting some of this shared
information in a database or another data store.  Some of these approaches have been discussed
on the [[http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users|tomcat-user mailing list]], whose
archives you should search for more information.

  Sharing sessions across containers for clustering or replication purposes is a different
matter altogether.
-
- == Why doesn't the NetBeans example build for me? ==
- I have found two issues with the build.xml provided here: http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/faqs/netbeans.html
-
- First, add this to the top of your properties:
-
- {{{
- <property environment="env" />
- }}}
- Next find this line in the "war" target:
-
- {{{
- <classes dir="${build.dir}" includes="**/*.properties" />
- }}}
- Change it so it reads like this:
-
- {{{
- <classes dir="${src.dir}" includes="**/*.properties" />
- }}}
- Now it will work!

  == I'm encountering classloader problems when using JNI under Tomcat ==
  The important thing to know about using JNI under Tomcat is that one cannot place the native
libraries OR their JNI interfaces under the WEB-INF/lib or WEB-INF/classes directories of
a web application and expect to be able to reload the webapp without restarting the server.
The class that calls System.loadLibrary(String) must be loaded by a classloader that is not
affected by reloading the web application itself.
@@ -283, +265 @@

  See HowTo/FasterStartUp

  == How do I contribute to Tomcat's documentation? ==
- - Download the source bundle or grab the source XML file from CVS.  The docs are in the
jakarta-tomcat-catalina CVS module, in the webapps/docs subdirectory.  They are in XML format
and get processed into the HTML documentation as part of the Tomcat release.
+ - Download the source bundle or grab the source XML file from [[http://tomcat.apache.org/svn.html|Subversion
repository]].  The docs are in the webapps/docs subdirectory.  They are in XML format and
get processed into the HTML documentation as part of the Tomcat release.

  - Edit the documentation XML file(s) as you wish.  The xdocs format is self-explanatory:
use normal HTML markup, and add <section> or <subsection> tags as you see fit.
 Look at the existing docs as examples.  Make sure you use valid XML markup.

- - Open a Bugzilla enhancement item with the explanation of your enhancements, and attach
a {{{diff -u}}} format of your patch.  We will evaluate and commit your patch as needed.
Note that the Tomcat web site is updated with every release, so that documentation changes
will not be visible as soon as you submit your Bugzilla item.
+ - Open a Bugzilla enhancement item with the explanation of your enhancements, and attach
a {{{svn diff}}} or {{{diff -u}}} format of your patch.  We will evaluate and commit your
patch as needed.  Note that the Tomcat web site is updated with every release, so that documentation
changes will not be visible until next Tomcat release.

- - If you're interested in previewing your changes, you will need to follow the directions
for building Tomcat yourself.  The docs will be generated in the webapps/tomcat-docs directory
just like with any normal Tomcat distributions.
+ - If you're interested in previewing your changes, you will need to follow the directions
for building Tomcat yourself.  The docs will be generated in the webapps/docs directory just
like with any normal Tomcat distributions.

- - If you'd like to get documentation up and visible to the world before the next Tomcat
release, use this wiki site.
+ - Documentation for current (unreleased) versions of Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7 is published
by ASF Buildbot. See links on the [[http://tomcat.apache.org/ci.html|buildbot]] page on Apache
Tomcat web site.

- - If you're not familiar with how to grab files from CVS, see http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html.
+ - If you're not familiar with how to grab files from Subversion, see http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html.

  == How do I override the default home page loaded by Tomcat? ==
  After successfully installing Tomcat, you usually test it by loading http://localhost:8080
. The contents of that page are compiled into the `index_jsp` servlet. The page even warns
against modifying the `index.jsp` files for this reason. Luckily, it is quite easy to override
that page. Inside {{{$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml}}} there is a section called `<welcome-file-list>`
and it looks like this: