tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mohsen Vakilian <mvaki...@illinois.edu>
Subject Interested in helping a research study on Eclipse?
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 15:34:02 GMT
Hi

I'm Mohsen Vakilian, a PhD student working with Prof. Ralph Johnson at the University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). Ralph is a co-author of
the seminal book on design patterns (GoF) and his research group has a history of important
contributions to IDE's.

Our team [1] is studying how developers interact with the Eclipse IDE for evolving and maintaining
their code. We noticed that the Ant build file of
Tomcat <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/build.xml> generates Eclipse project
files. So, we assume that some of the contributors of
Tomcat who are on this mailing list use Eclipse. Therefore, we'd like to invite you to contribute
to the future of Eclipse by participating in our research
study.

To participate you should be at least 18 years old and use the Eclipse IDE for Java development.
As a participant, we ask that you complete a short
survey and install our Eclipse plug-in called CodingSpectator [2].

CodingSpectator monitors programming interactions non-intrusively in the background and periodically
uploads it to a secure server at UIUC. To get a
representative perspective of how you interact with Eclipse, we would appreciate if you could
install CodingSpectator for two months. Rest assured that
we are taking the utmost measures to protect your privacy and confidentiality.

If you are interested, you may sign up at <http://codingspectator.cs.illinois.edu/ConsentForm>,
which contains our consent form with all the details and
procedures of our research study.

Your participation will help us greatly as we try to better understand how developers interact
with their IDE's so we can propose improvements which fit
better with their mindsets.

Thanks in advance for your time! Please do not hesitate to contact me (mvakili2@illinois.edu)
if you have any questions or comments. More information
can also be found at our FAQ [3]. Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone who might
be interested in participating in this study.

--
Mohsen Vakilian
& the CodingSpectator team

[1] http://codingspectator.cs.illinois.edu/People