tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: About Tomcat transplantation
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 03:45:39 GMT
> From: 张 [mailto:howzmhwork@126.com]
> Subject: About Tomcat transplantation

> I am explanting Tomcat7 application using souce code to an
> our own System.

Been there, done that, got several t-shirts.

You shouldn't have to compile Tomcat at all - if your JDK can pass most of the JCK tests (and
a bit more).  Since Tomcat proper is pure Java, all you really have to worry about is making
the JVM work on your platform.  Besides using Tomcat in production on our extremely proprietary
hardware and OS, we also use it to debug our JVM.

If you want to include the Tomcat native library, you'll need to be able to build APR and
OpenSSL - but since Tomcat works fine using the JSSE component of the JRE, I wouldn't bother
with those.  Concentrate on getting the JVM working.

> what other package or tool is needed on the new system?

Again, nothing other than a Tomcat binary download is needed.  If you do choose to build from
source, you'll have to have ant working.  The ant build script for Tomcat will automatically
download all the other pieces it needs.  However, you can build Tomcat on any platform and
then run it on an entirely different one.

 - Chuck