tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Fedd Kraft <f...@sql.ru>
Subject Why AstValue (part of EL) coerces set value to the target type
Date Sat, 07 May 2011 18:08:19 GMT
Hi,

I think I have problems in my software because the implementation of EL
works so that the set value is coerced to the target type.

I am talking about lines 153-157 of the class org.apache.el.parser
<http://www.docjar.com/docs/api/org/apache/el/parser/package-index.html>.AstValue.
I guess it makes sence all the time except if the 'base' is the Map. I
seem that once I put a String into the Map, I lose the ability to put,
say, an array or a Collection there through the setValue method of the
ValueExpression.

The ValueExpressioni s a property of the Map, like this ${map.key}. If
this expression is String, I can't setValue a Collection there, my
collection becomes a String through toString method, because the
resolver.getType method returns the Class of what is currently kept
under this key.

Please tell me whether this is an intended/unavoidable behaviour, or a bug?

Thanks!
-fedd