tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BIO performance issues
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 15:54:45 GMT
On 04/05/2011 16:17, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> On 5/3/2011 2:02 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> In a similar fashion, we can also craft a test run that will yield a
> substantial improvement over the old implementation in throughput.
> So there is a test case to prove every scenario.

Could you outline what a test case looks like. It would help with the
general understanding of what problem maxConnections is trying to solve.

> Here is what I propose, and you'll see that it's pretty much inline with
> what you suggest.

Yep. That works for me. I do have some additional questions around
maxConnections - mainly so I can get the docs right.

>> c) remove the configuration options for maxConnections from the BIO
>> connector
> I think you still misunderstand why maxConnections is there, at some
> point you need to push back on the TCP stack.

Some more detail on exactly the purpose of maxConnections would be
useful. The purposes I can see are:
- limiting connections since the addition of the queue means they are
not limited by maxThreads
- fair (order received) processing of connections?
- ?

Mark