tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: External Docroot support for Tomcat
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 20:07:17 GMT
On 5/2/11 12:59 PM, Asha K S wrote:
> HI,
>
> Thanks a lot for helping me on this.Our basic requirement is having two docroots for
same context '/' .But I have read that using '/' as an aliasPath is not allowed. Thats the
reason we had to change the code. Please let me know if there is any way to do that.

It's a not uncommon requirement to support overlapping sources for HTTPD
and Tomcat, usually resolved by some cunning mod_rewrite statements,
rather than modifying Tomcat's code.

What is the actual problem and why isn't it possible to handle this in
HTTPD, by selectively forwarding to Tomcat?

> Thanks,
> Asha

and also webservers webroot (Apache webservers htdocs folder) for same context.
>> We found that there is no way to actually do it,
>
> Isn't "aliases" attribute on Context what is needed for you? [1]
>
> It is also possible map nested paths as separate web applications, by
> naming them as foo#bar - see Naming in [1].
>
> [1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html
>
>> we have made some changes to Tomcat 7.0.8 source code and Connectors source code
so that when Tomcat resolves getRealPath it actually asks connector for the RealPath(since
the files are present in webservers webroot) .For this we have added an extra command like
GET_BODY_CHUNK when sent connector will ask the webserver for the realpath and sends it to
Tomcat server.

>> We would like to make this contribution to Tomcat source code ,please let me know
what steps do I need to follow to submit the code and if I have to get it reviewed by someone
before doing this.