tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: [GUMP@vmgump]: Project tomcat-trunk-test (in module tomcat-trunk) failed
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 04:48:16 GMT
2011/4/4 Rainer Jung <>:
> On 04.04.2011 11:34, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>> I know there was some related discussion on the users list, but just
>>> in case it didn't become clear from that.
>>> There is a bug in the Oracle JVM. Initialization of random number
>>> generation on Linux can block for a long time, because even if
>>> configured for using /dev/urandom it will use /dev/random. 1.6.0_24
>>> even seems to be preconfigured for using /dev/urandom on Linux, but it
>>> dows not work due to an implementation bug.
>> vmgump is on 6b20 and I don't think there is anything more recent
>> available for Ubuntu 10.4 (unless we fiddle with package sources, I
>> guess).
> Sorry, I didn't want to indicate it is a 1.6.0_24 problem only. It's just
> that I checked the default only for 1.6.0_24. The issue is open at Oracle
> for a longer.
>> But you seem to be correct this is a Linux issue.  On FreeBSD[1] I see
>> 140 ms.
> It is also not strictly reproducable in the sense that fst startup means you
> don't have the problem. You can check via open files or similar, if
> /dev/random or /dev/urandom is being used. Even when /dev/random is used due
> t the bug, sometimes there is enough entropy, sometimes not. I usually run
> into the problem when trying to start two instances in parallel. One starts
> up fast, the other blocks.
>>> Workaround: You can still use the system property ""
>>> to switch to /dev/urandom, but you have to use a value that is
>>> semantically equivalent to /dev/urandom but not stringwise
>>> identical.
>> You can set system properties via<sysproperty>  inside the Gump
>> descriptor and if you use
>>            <sysproperty name="" value="true"/>
>> Ant will make sure any system property will be passed to a new Java VM
>> that is forked as well[2] (as long as forking uses Ant's mechanisms,
>> that is).
> Good thing. Konstantin already added a jvmarg to our local build.xml, I
> guess it will work in Gump but also when testing standalone.
> It might be a nice default setting for the ASF gump, because more projects
> might run into the same unpleasant issue.
>> Stefan
>> [1]
>> [2]
> Regards,
> Rainer

With my changes to our build.xml this problem is now fixed.

The last Gump run for tomcat-trunk-test was successful,

BIO + NIO tests completed in 21 mins 16 secs

Regarding tomcat-trunk-validate, the current status is

My plan is to apply the workaround suggested by Stefan in that thread.
I tried an alternative way, but that failed as well as before.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: