tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1095367 - in /tomcat/trunk: java/org/apache/catalina/startup/ java/org/apache/jasper/compiler/ java/org/apache/tomcat/util/scan/ webapps/docs/
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:33:06 GMT
On 4/20/2011 10:07 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The new code is better than the old. You are welcome to try and improve
> it further although I don't think there is much more scope for
> improvement given the performance figures I am seeing.
My suggestion here would be to:
  1. When a JAR file has been scanned, then save the result of the scan to the work directory
containing
   - name of jar
   - timestamp of the JAR
   - MD5 of jar
   - size of jar in bytes
   - result of scan

This would serve a jar scanner cache. If I restart tomcat several times without any changes
to the libraries, there is no need to incur the
12 second startup time. While 30s -> 12s is a dramatic improvement, you can bring down
the penalty of a scan even more.

Ideally there is also an option to disable the cache, for the skeptic ones :)

Filip