tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.9
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:45:55 GMT
On 2/28/2011 11:30 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 28/02/2011 18:11, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> [X] Broken - do not release
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1075030&view=rev
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1074675&view=rev
>>
>> Are not completely correct implementations as they don't
>> - support a timeout correctly
> That is an issue. Should be a relatively easy fix.
I got this in my code base, I still recommend pulling out the change until all issues are
taken care of.
>> - dont account for when a write is needed on the selector
> I can't figure out what circumstances the handshake process would return
> OP_WRITE since it shouldn't ever be waiting for some other process to
> write data. Could you explain how this might happen?
When you want to initiate a renegotiating from the server, you want to write data to the client
notifying it of such. This happens when you
call beginHandshake.
beginHandshake generates the bytes needed to be sent to the client, so you must send them.
So we make an attempt to send them. If the attempt to send them fails, meaning no bytes were
accepted into the buffer, the handshake(...)
calls returns OP_WRITE to let you know that you can be signaled for when this needs to take
place.
This is most unlikely to happen in a scenario like this, as there TCP buffers should have
plenty of space in them and we should be able to
take the bytes. However, from a state machine perspective, you still need to account for the
state.

The other mistake, is that there is an assumed OP_READ, even if the handshake completes.

The change will require a bit more careful analysis to get right. Not to mention, this code,
as you may have noticed, is fragile.

>> - they potentially garble a message body larger than the limit of the
>> input buffer
> This should be handled by the existing code although I didn't test it.
> Should be easy to write a unit test to confirm what happens in this case.

Try to start sending a 25MB file upload together with your headers.

Filip