tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Reaching ulimit values for open files can generate huge log files
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:59:26 GMT
Mark,

On 2/21/2011 10:21 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The ASF Sonar installation managed to generate 46GB of identical log
> messages [1] today in the 8 hours it took to notice it was down.

I've not really looked at how Tomcat does its logging, but do we have an
opportunity to do what, say, syslogd does when it emits messages like
"Last message repeated X times"?

If the logger could keep a reference to the last log message and do
comparisons, this would be possible. On the other hand, reducing the
performance of logging isn't a popular thing to do.

-chris