tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [taglibs] Move to pre-req Java 1.6 for Locale services?
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:33:35 GMT
As an alternative - can we implement this such that it uses this in
Java6 and falls back to the old bad code in 1.5 and before?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1, Java 1.5 is EOL as you say.
>
> While Oracle are in the business of supporting the old versions when
> it gets painful, we're not.
>
> Hen
>
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
>> In Java6 support was added for LocaleServiceProviders that extend the Locales supported
by the java.text formatters. This causes #46052 as getAvailableLocales() now needs to scan
the entire classpath rather than just return the Locales built in to the JRE. It also means
we cannot continue to cache the returned set of Locales if the taglib is shared between different
applications (for example, in a JavaEE6 environment where the taglibs are supplied by the
container) as it will now vary with context ClassLoader.

>> The java.text getInstance() methods work around this by not scanning the classpath
if a match is found with one of the built-in providers. We can use this method directly if
the context only requires a single Locale (either because we are using application-specified
Locales, or because the request only specified a single one, or because multiple ones in the
request match the resolution order (e.g. Firefox's "en-us,en").

>> However, where a request specifies multiple Locales with different prefixes, we still
need to perform the matching ourselves as the JRE will *always* match something (at least
the ROOT Locale) but we cannot tell which. If we stick to using the 1.5 level API we will
trigger the uncacheable classpath scan on 1.6 level VMs; however, 1.6 provides the ServiceLoader#loadInstalled()
API which can be used to determine the locales installed in the JRE and hence avoid the application
classpath scan for JRE supplied locales (which are likely to be the most commonly used).

>> As most users are likely to be running on 1.6 and we've not actually released a version
needing 1.5 and Sun's 1.5 is generally end-of-lifed, I'd like to propose solving this with
the 1.6 APIs and making it a pre-requisite. Any issue with this?