tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r1042786 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache: catalina/core/ catalina/loader/ tomcat/util/threads/
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:43:35 GMT
> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
> Subject: Re: svn commit: r1042786 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache:
> catalina/core/ catalina/loader/ tomcat/util/threads/

> My preference is for operator before since I believe it aids
> readability. YMMV.

Strongly agree.  I've been programming in a multitude of languages for over forty years, and
I find operator before line break to be a much more readable (and aesthetically pleasing)
arrangement.

Sun's Java programming conventions haven't been updated in over a decade, and were written
before many people had much experience with the language.  It's unfortunate they haven't been
kept up to date with newer productivity findings.  (I also find it quite curious that they
specify break after comma, but before other operators - we don't need no stinkin' consistency.)

 - Chuck